Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

Our Memorial Day started off with a bang...

Friday, daycare called and said that Marino was vomitting up all the birthday cake he ate.

???????!!!!!!!

Um...yeah, he's severely allergic to eggs (which they knew but somehow forgot).

When I got there he was still vomiting, getting hives, and periodically getting lethargic, so I asked the nurse to use the EpiPen. I called my pediatrician and she said to take him to the ER, just to get him some steroids and to have them look at him. Luckily, after the EpiPen, he was pretty much back to his old self again, but we had to stay at the ER for 2 hours for observation to make sure he didn't rebound. They also gave him a long acting steroid and some Bendaryl.

I have to say, this was the most pleasant ER trip we've had, not feeling like Marino's life or limbs were in jeopardy. We watched a Scooby Doo video, the nurse fed him popsicles (which he LOVED), and after the steroids, he jumped around in circles for 30 minutes.

Saturday, we all just took it easy. My friend Kristal (Gabrielle's mom), had a baby boy named Christian on Saturday morning, after several very difficult weeks in the hospital, trying to stay pregnant as long as possible. Christian was born on Saturday at 24 weeks and 5 days - a 1 pound, 4 ounce miracle baby. He is turning out to be quite the tough guy already and I was so honored to be able to meet him on Saturday. He's adorable!! The whole family has a long road ahead of them in the NICU, so please say a prayer for them.

Sunday, we took Marino to the playground. It was hot (90+) so Evan and I were tired long before Marino was (he was red faced and guzzling water but didn't seem to care). Marino once again proved to be an awesome climber, which I'm sure will be the cause of lots of worry for me once he's a little old and climbing trees:)

Does this boy look hot or what?



After our playground trip, we went over to Evan's Aunt Ronnie's house for a bbq. We got a chance to visit with Evan's Aunt Ann and Uncle Mike, visiting from South Carolina. Aunt Ann made this awesome Redskins blanket for Marino, which he found very "cozy"!

He wrapped himself up like this, by the way!
Monday, I took Marino to the pool. It was quite a different experience than the last time we were at the (neighborhood) pool, since last summer he wasn't walking. He had a great time splashing around in the baby pool, but he really wanted to be where the most kids were (the big pool).


Evan and I went shopping on Monday night and got one of these!
My car was leaking oil and needed new brakes (and had 126,000 miles on it), so it didn't make sense to put more $$ into it when it wasn't likely to last much longer anyway. I wanted something safe and comfy for Marino and I love this car!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new car!

    I am keeping your friend and her baby boy in my thoughts and prayers. Jacob was 24w5d and weighed 1.7, but dropped to 1.4 after birth and stayed there for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I know exactly what she is going through so if she has any questions or needs any encouragement please send her my way. I would be happy to e-mail with her or you can direct her to my blog. It has all the updates of Jacob's NICU journey. Hopefully, it will have some helpful info for her.

    ReplyDelete