Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Christian was quite the fighter from the beginning of his life. I had the privilege of meeting him the day after he was born and it was pretty amazing. Kristal and I really bonded even more in our friendship in only the way mothers of premature babies can. Although Christian's journey was sure to be tougher than Marino's was, most mothers have never been through extended hospital stays with a child like NICU moms. We talked often about the highs and the lows as Christian grew.
Unfortunately, at the end of the week before last, Christian took a turn for the worse. An infection, coupled with a surgery attempt, proved to be too much for him. Kristal and Kris held their boy as he became an angel at just 11 weeks old.
Today, is Christian's funeral and I wish that I could be there for Kristal. I know how much she loved her boy and how badly she wanted just to be here. I remember talks we had in the hospital about the worst case scenario and this was it - losing him. Kristal just wanted her boy with her. I shared this poem with her last weekend, and I wanted to share it here as well, in memory of Christian and a mother's love:
i carry your heart with me
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear no fate(for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
Kristal, Kris and Gabby, we are thinking of you today and praying for strength and peace for you. Good night, sweet Christian.
Friday, August 20, 2010
5. On Saturday, my dad, stepmother, Evan and I were all in the living room with Marino (which Marino calls "the big room"). Marino was doing a snake impression and going around to everyone saying "now you do it". Then he decided he wanted us all to do it together - a symphony of snakes - and announced "Everybody do it! SSSSSSSSSSS"
4. On Sunday, while my Dad and Barb were over, Marino was jumping off the couch. I asked him about 765 times to stop jumping off the couch. He stopped leaping and started modifying it to more of a fall off the couch and told me "I stepping"...apparently "stepping" off the couch is not the same as "jumping" off the couch.
3. August is dinosaur month at daycare (Marino loves dinosaurs) and yesterday when we arrived, they were dinosaur tracks on the floor. The Director, Sharon (ShiShi) asked Marino if he wanted to go find the dinosaur (aka actually let Mommy get out the door without a meltdown) and he put his hand up to his mouth and said "ooooh scary!!"
2. For the first time ever, Marino asked me on Thursday, "What do you call this?" (he has obviously asked me that before but not in such a direct way). And of course, I didn't know the answer! The object he had in his hand was one of those spiky balls but it was flat on one side. So here I was saying "um..." and he was trying to help me "Ball? Circle" Finally, I said "It's half a ball". How is the boy stumping me with questions already?!
1. He has learned his bedtime prayers well enough that he can say a modified version of them on his own now. The other night after he did the full version, he did a second version on his own (stall bedtime tactic). He ended he prayer with"bless Mommy, bless Daddy, bless tv."
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Olivia was really enjoying Marino's drum set. She and baby sis Emelia look just alike!
Marino with his Pap Pap and Grammy Barb
Friday, August 13, 2010
5. Evan has been fishing a lot this summer and Marino is very interested in this. Every time Evan comes home with his fishing pole, Marino will say "Daddy, you catch a fishy?"
4. Evan has been teaching Marino to say prayers at bedtime. It's honestly the most adorable thing to hear him say "I pway the Lwod my soul to take."
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Playtime in the "pizza garden"
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Brandon, enjoying a slide
Here's Annabelle - how cute is she?!