Monday, September 28, 2009

Update on Us


(no pics, sorry!)

By the end of the week, all of the blisters on Marino's hands had popped. Initially, they looked awful, but they all look much better now (comparitively, anyway). Evan took him to the plastic surgeon this morning (I was too sick to go) and he said that his hands are healing wonderfully and we no longer need to wrap them. He said he may have scars temporarily, but probably not forever, since we shed so much skin on our hands over time. Marino seems very relieved to have use of his hands again!

I am still sick. The doctors are treating me for c.diff. If you're unfamiliar with c.diff, it is a serious bacterial infection of the colon. It generally only strikes people after they have a weakened immune system AND have taken antibiotics. I got it after my blood transfusion (they always give antibiotics with a transfusion) after I had Marino. At the time, I was VERY sick and had to spend an additional 10 days in the hospital because of it. I literally had to beg to be discharged and eat in front of the doctors, who were very skeptical it was safe to send me home. Once you've had it, the recurrence rate is very high. This will be my 4th time having it (the last time being December of last year).

This time is no where near as severe as the other times I've had it, but I'm much healthier now than when I had it previously. My mom came over the weekend, so Evan and I got plenty of rest and Marino got lots of love and special attention. I've been on the antibiotic for 48 hours now and it does seem to be helping some. I have a ton of inflammation in my colon, so I doubt I will be feeling wonderful anytime soon, but I'll settle for functioning:)

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear Marino is healing. I am so sorry about your situation. It is so hard taking care of little ones when you feel bad. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jill. Being sick is the worst b/c I can't explain it to Marino:(

    ReplyDelete