Friday, September 25, 2009

5 on Friday (and an update)

Well, this has been a tough week, my friends. But, my boy never ceases to make me proud, so here are 5 special reasons I'm loving my boy this week.

5. He loves brushing his hair and teeth. Great hygeine already! If I brush my teeth without giving him his toothbrush, he opens his mouth waiting for me to do his teeth. This morning he brushed both Evan and my hair (very sweet, although not the part where I got knocked in the head with the brush).


4. Ok, this is sort of sad, but the first time we gave Marino his painkillers, he was acting sort of drunk. He was in his highchair and he said "UP!" and then shook his head and said, " No, dowd, dowd, dowd" (dowd means down) like he was confused. It was very adorable. He still refused to nap;)


3. Marino is so good natured. We're so blessed, especially at times like these, that he is a naturally happy guy. He was obviously hysterical on Sunday when the EMTs arrived and he decided he didn't want the EMT to even look at him in the ambulence. Well, by the time we got to the hospital, he has changed his mind and laughed at everything the guy said (to his credit, he was trying very hard to be kind). He also made lots of friends in the ER.


2. Marino has a very adorable dance that he does. I have to try and get a video. It involves wiggling and he has a mischevious little smirk he does, like he knows he is too cute. Sometimes there are feet stomping and arms swinging. I love this dance - what better way to let us know he is happy than to break into a dance?


1. The most important reason I am loving Marino this week is that he continues to amaze me in every way. If I had these injuries, I know I wouldn't handle it as well as he has. He has learned to do so many things this week with bandaged hands: drink a bottle, scoop crackers into his mouth, stroke my hair with his thumb. He hates the bandaging, but everything else he has accepted so well. I wish there were words to explain how I love him, but I have none. I just wonder everyday how I got so lucky that I get to be his mom. I'm so proud.


Update on us:
Whenever I tell the burn story, people ask me "What kind of light is that hot?!!" so I wanted to share this picture with you, so you know to avoid them in the future. These lights often have grids on them to protect them from little hands. Regardless, stay away!!
The moment we have been dreading arrived this evening, the first of Marino's blisters popped. We (or should I say Evan? I couldn't even look at it) had to cut away the skin. This is what is underneath. Very cringe-worthy, huh? The big fear now is they skin is exposed to infection. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified, especially considering Marino's recent skin infections.
I am still very sick. Hopefully I will know soon what the problem is, but the prescriptions are not helping. I did make it to work for most of the day today, since my sickness is much worse in the morning, evening and overnight. I am extremely dehydrated, though, which is making me very tired and really bothering my eyes. I'm trying hard to stay positive, but I have to be honest, it's getting me down.

2 comments:

  1. Sara,
    Robbie, Campbell, and I are thinking about you guys. I hope Marino's hands heal without infection and you feel better soon! Wish we were up there to do something to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Poor guy. I hope that place gets a cover on those lights soon!

    ReplyDelete