Thursday, July 5, 2012

Among the Many Reasons I Love Our Friends and Family...

Unless you live under a rock, you've surely heard that our area (Metro DC) and our county in particular got the worst of the unusual derecho storm last Friday. We had about an hour of non-stop lightning, rain and high winds (70 miles per hour). Our house was shaking - it was very unusual. And then...the lights went out. For 48 hours. When I got up in the morning, I couldn't believe what I saw. Trees were in the roads, on houses, power lines were down. 500 of 800 traffic lights in the county were out and there were accidents everywhere. And in the midst of all this, a little boy's birthday party was cancelled. The worst part was telling him, but he actually took it better than I expected. "Why can't you just send the fixers to fix the power?" he wanted to know. Luckily, we have amazing friends and family and they stepped in to make sure we still had a great day.

My mom and stepfather were here and took us to a delicious lunch. Then we headed over to Evan's friend Brian's house, where we went swimming with all the kids. Evan's cousin Ahmad's wife was visiting from North Carolina with her kids and his other cousin Rahsaan was there with his kids, too. After swimming, we had a cookout and took the kids over to the park. Needless to say, Marino had a great time.

Swinging with Amiyah

Spinning with Jahvon and Amiyah

Cutie pie Jahvon - he will always pose for me!! And wow, this boy can swim! I've never seen such a strong swimmer at his age (3 1/2).
Raiden and Marino, rolling out
Kaia - she loves the camera, too
This is Raiden's "I'm not smiling for you" face

We camped out at my aunt's house Saturday since she had power (and a/c). Evan's Aunt Joyce suggested we take Marino and his cousin Landyn to Chuck E Cheese's to celebrate Marino's birthday. The boys had a great time and Landyn is such a great big cousin.
Can you tell they were having fun?!


This picture cracks me up!

We're so lucky to have so many amazing people in our life that helped make this weekend so special, even if it was different than we expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment