Monday, March 12, 2012

March 2012 Trip to Dallas

The first weekend in March, my mother and I went to Dallas to visit my brother and sister-in-law. Both of them turned 40 in the last month, and we wanted to celebrate with them. As I've mentioned before, my brother is battling a very aggressive cancer. Thankfully, he is feeling a lot better than when I saw him in December and he was in wonderful spirits when we were there.

It was fun to get to spend time alone with my mom. Every time we get together these days, we have Marino with us, so it was nice to spend some time with just the two of us. The first day we were there, we took a walk on the Redding Trail in Addison.  This is such an innovative idea...the city built a trail along the power lines. So, they took this underutilized space and made it into a functional and beautiful park, complete with running/walking/biking trails, public gathering spaces (with shade), a great playground (with shaded picnic tables). I went back the next morning for a run there - I just loved it!

We went to Addison Circle Park the next beautiful day. I love love Addison! It's very well planned - everything is very intentional - from the art deco street lights to the public art to the outdoor gathering spaces, its a walking planning lesson!

Here's a picture of my mom with some public art. The sculpture is not amazingly attractive, but you can see it from a mile away, so it creates an identity for Addison. Isn't my mom cute?
Here we are facing the other side of the park. It was a gorgeous day - perfect weather for a walk!
Closer picture of the sculpture and the streetscape. 
Great mix of daytime and nighttime businesses and public seating.
Beautiful park with great tree cover - it felt like we were somewhere more exotic than Texas!

Who needs a fence when you can create public seating instead?
Brendan wanted to check out the Cavanaugh Flight Museum for his birthday. It was good trip for us, since it was a manageable size with lots of cool things to check out.
Holly and Brendan - so nice to see him up and happy!


Holly and her sister (and our family lifesaver) Sally making new friends...
My big bro and I
Brendan and Holly's new dog, Mona. We took her to a great dog park and she was in heaven.
It was a great trip and wonderful to spend time with my family.  
Marino did great without me, in spite of recovering from strep throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment