Sunday, July 19, 2009

1st Allergy

Marino is allergic to eggs. Today was the third time he had them and within half an hour, he broke out in hives. The hives went away and then he began wretching and vomitting all over me, himself, the carpet, etc. I ended up having to put him in the tub until he stopped. After he was done vomitting, he seemed very lethargic. Of course, Evan and I were freaking out! We left a message for our pediatrician, who is amazing and returned our call within 5 minutes (today is Sunday, too). She said he didn't need to go to the ER unless he seemed to have trouble breathing, and that we should give him Pedialyte and a dose of Benadryl. She also said no eggs or butter at all (even in baked goods) for 2 months and after that we'll do full allergy testing.

The pediatrician said a lot of times an allergic doesn't occur until the child has had a few exposures to the allergen, since it can take time for the antibodies to build up to attack.

Those of you who know me well probably are not surprised my son has a food allergy. I have celiac disease (gluten/wheat allergy), I'm lactose intolerant, allergic to shellfish and eggs bother my stomach (although I don't think that the eggs are a true allergy for me). I was also allergic to citrus when I was a child. The allergy testing will be good and take a lot of the guess work out of feeding him.

He is now resting peacefully on my lap (he also LOVED the Pedialyte).

1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    I am glad that Marino is ok. That must have been scary. My son broke out in hives when we introduced him to yogurt and I freaked out and he wasn't even throwing up. Wow!

    Thanks for leaving me the comment about the products that you like. Wheat allergy is pretty difficult, but I am just starting to find things that aren't horrible :) I am on a mission to find good, safe food for myself (since I am still nursing) and my son that will not break the bank. This is going to be an interesting journey, but I am up for it.

    Good luck with your little guy.

    ReplyDelete