Friday, June 12, 2009

Amazing (Megan) Grace

If you don't have internet friends, it probably seems strange that other people do. I have a number of internet friends....what can I say? I'm a Master of Community Planning student...I like the idea of communities, virtual and otherwise. Since having Marino, I've "met" a number of preemie moms online that have provided me with an enormous amount of information, advice, and support. On our preemie mom board, we always say its a sucky club to have to join, but we're lucky to have each other.

One of my internet friends is Amber (who I know because we both had destination weddings). Without the internet, I would never have had the pleasure of knowing her, but she is a truly amazing person. Amber is now 32 weeks pregnant and carrying a baby girl, who she has named Megan Grace. Megan Grace has been diagnosed, in utero, with Osteogenisis Imperfecta, Type II. You may have heard of OI, as it is the subject of Jodi Piccoult's newest book "Handle With Care" (and if you don't know who Jodi Piccoult is, you must have avoided all book stores for the past decade). Type II OI is fatal. Amber has known that Megan's OI is fatal, but she decided to continue her pregnancy, to give Megan Grace a life, even if most of that life is inside of her womb. Pretty amazing, huh? Amber is a completely selfless mom already and I am just blown away by her strength and love for Megan. I wanted to share this story, because it is on my mind and in my heart every day. Megan Grace will likely arrive in early July.

If you are interested in following Megan Grace's story, Amber keeps a blog for her at http://formegangrace.blogspot.com/. If its on your heart to do so, please leave a kind word for Amber on her blog. And, I'm sure this goes without saying, but please pray/send good thoughts and vibes to Amber, her husband Steve and Baby Megan Grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment